Teen Lawn Care - Learn How Kids and Teenagers Can Make Money with a Yard Business
Home | Get Updates Via RSS | Get Updates Via Email | Why Get Updates? | Profile | Rescources | Advertise
Business | Services | Equipment | Spring/Summer | Fall | Winter | Product Reviews | Question and Answer | Inspiration | Rescources | Unlabeled

Blogs I Like

JuniorBiz - Young people, grownup business!
Blog written by Nick Tart about young business

The Lawn Blog
Blog written by Richard Murphy all about lawn care and lawn business

Kelly's Lawn Care Blog
Blog written by Kelly Burke about lawn care

Life and Lawns - Lawn Care Tips Blog
Blog written by Allyn Paul that discusses lawn care

Welcome to Teen Lawn Care's very first series post! I wrote a post about "Getting Helpers for When You're Gone", and it turned out to be too long for one writing. So, here's the last in a four part series about getting helpers when you're gone. View Part 1 here, Part 2 here, and Part 3 here. Enjoy!

Making your Relationship More Permanent

For now, your helpers are only there for when you are out of town or can't do a lawn. However, you could extend this relationship between you and your employee by making it more permanent.

For example, one day, you may hope to have more lawns than you can do on your own. Since you don't have time to mow all of them yourself, your call-up employees could help you manage them. You get a cut of what the customer pays for the lawn to be mowed, and you pay your helpers the standard wage you have always paid them.

Eventually, your company role could morph into one that coordinates, markets, and keeps track of financial information than that of manual labor-- other people are actually mowing the lawn, and you are taking a cut of that.

It doesn't have to just be for mowing, either. For example, I don't have enough time in the fall to run a profitable leaf raking venture. However, if I get some helpers who have more time than I do on their hands, I could make a lot of money just finding jobs for my employees.

The possibilities for expansion could become endless. ;)

My Business

This method works, I've done it myself. My buddy and I have two people who can potentially mow when either of us goes out of town. They are both very happy about how much they get paid, and my buddy and I are very happy about the cut we get from the payment the customer gives us.

As an interesting scenario, if my buddy and I had our two helpers mow all our lawns (which would kind of ruin our reputation with our customers, but that's a different post ;] ), we would make $14.50 a week, each. (And that's with taking out 30% for the future of our business, a post that will come later.) If I owned the company myself, I would get $29 a week. No manual labor.

It's an interesting side note, and a potential for your business, too.

Conclusion

Having helpers is a good idea for your business. It allows you to go on vacation and not have to worry too much about the length of your customers' grass. As long as you execute your plan to get your friends working for you, having helpers can be a real asset to your business.

This is the last in a four part series. View the previous posts: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

Labels:


If you enjoyed this post, recieve notification of the latest posts via RSS or via email:

I will never rent, sell, or share your email address



  • # Anonymous Nick Tart | JuniorBiz

    Hey, Ben. You're on to something with hiring people to do your work. According to Michael Gerber's book, eMyth, there are 3 different types of entrepreneurs.

    1. Technician - the person who owns the business and does all of the work.
    2. Manager - the business owner who hires and manages employees to do the work.
    3. Entrepreneur - the person who sets up the business, hires employees, then hires managers to manage the employees and other aspects of business.

    You're right that the hardest part about moving up the ladder is finding quality labor to do the work. But if you can, that's where the real money lies.  

  • # Anonymous Ben

    That's a cool way of looking at the different types of entrepreneurs. If I examine at myself in relation to my business, I guess I'm a technician. However, if I take my business up a notch, I could potentially be partially a "manager."

    I can also see how these different tiers could be used when creating goals for your business, with your low-level goals being technician-related work, and your high-level goals being entrepreneur-related work.

    Like you said: Managing is how the top guys make the big bucks.  

Post a Comment

Previous Posts

Get Updates

RSS Get Updates Via RSS

Subscribe to my RSS feed

What is RSS?

Get Updates Via Email
join our mailing list
* indicates required

About Teen Lawn Care

Mow Lawns for Money

Teen Lawn Care is a blog to help you succeed as a teen lawn entrepreneur. I use my firsthand experience to help you make your lawn business the best it can be. <<See first post

Sponsors