Teen Lawn Care - Learn How Kids and Teenagers Can Make Money with a Yard Business
Home | Get Updates Via RSS | Get Updates Via Email | Why Get Updates? | Profile | Rescources | Advertise
Business | Services | Equipment | Spring/Summer | Fall | Winter | Product Reviews | Question and Answer | Inspiration | Rescources | Unlabeled

Blogs I Like

JuniorBiz - Young people, grownup business!
Blog written by Nick Tart about young business

The Lawn Blog
Blog written by Richard Murphy all about lawn care and lawn business

Kelly's Lawn Care Blog
Blog written by Kelly Burke about lawn care

Life and Lawns - Lawn Care Tips Blog
Blog written by Allyn Paul that discusses lawn care

How Much to Charge Per Job

When I first started my lawn mowing business, I often wondered how to charge customers. Foolishly, I used a "flat rate." However, I have come up with an equation for deciding how much to charge clients:

($/Hour) X (# Hours spent) + (Expenses) = Cost per lawn

Now, we will break it down. First, figure out your equipment and supply costs per lawn. Let's start with equipment. If you just invested in a new lawn mower or weed whacker, take the cost of your new equipment and divide it by the number of jobs you will do that season. You will also use gasoline. Figure out how much gasoline you use in one mow, and how much that gasoline costs. Put that in the cost per lawn. Using the examples I have described above, place any other expenses you have per lawn into the right side of the equation.

Next, figure out how long it will take you to mow the lawn. You eye might not be as practiced in the beginning. One idea is to give your customer the first one or two mows for free. Then you will know how long it takes you to mow their lawn. Remember to take into account things like hills and ditches that take a longer amount of time to get around.

The nice thing about owning your own business is that you get to decide how much you make. However, if you want customers, don't overcharge. I recommend taking from the profits just a little bit more than your friends who have normal jobs make. I try to make $15 or $20 an hour. But it all depends on the ending cost for the customer.

After you have come up with the cost per lawn, round it to a more comfortable number. Your customers aren't going to want to pay you $23.43 per job. That's just ridiculous. I would recommend rounding it to the nearest 5. For example, $15 or $20.

Well, the mystery has been solved. I bet there are more ways to complicate the equation, but I'm not going to get into that. Have fun, um, deciding how much to charge per job!

Labels:


If you enjoyed this post, recieve notification of the latest posts via RSS or via email:

I will never rent, sell, or share your email address



  • # Anonymous Anonymous

    This really helped. Thanks a million. It was perfect. Just the thing I wanted.  

  • # Anonymous Benjamin Fordyce

    Hi, I'm looking to start my own lawn cutting and garden maint company. I'm 19 so I'm looking for it to be long term, I've thought about charging a flat rate per SQ foot but I don't know if this would be viable. What is your input on this? You can email me on info@cleanlime.co.uk for conversations.  

  • # Anonymous Anonymous

    My hats off to this ingenious teen. I'm 71 and have hip surgery
    coming up, and so I am going to see if I can find a teen in my
    neighborhood to mow my lawn this season. I want to pay fairly,
    but my wife's guess of $30+ for a small lawn that typically takes
    me 30 minutes to cut seems a little high to me. I hope $20 will
    do it.
    When I was 10, I bought a power mower from Sears for $75. My dad
    made a pull cart, and I named my business "Clever Clip Lawn Service."  

Post a Comment

Previous Posts

Get Updates

RSS Get Updates Via RSS

Subscribe to my RSS feed

What is RSS?

Get Updates Via Email
join our mailing list
* indicates required

About Teen Lawn Care

Mow Lawns for Money

Teen Lawn Care is a blog to help you succeed as a teen lawn entrepreneur. I use my firsthand experience to help you make your lawn business the best it can be. <<See first post

Sponsors